He also served on the Board of Directors of the Family Law Section of the Orange County Bar Association from 2003 2008. There, he was President (2008), Vice President (2007), Treasurer (2006), Secretary (2005), and Member At large (2003-2004). Mr. Cowhig was a member of the Education Committee of the Family Law Section, starting in 1999 to 2008. Mr. Cowhig has been an instructor, and continues to participate in numerous seminars and other continuing-education panels for the Family Law section of the Orange County Bar.
Mr. Cowhig is a graduate of the prestigious Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute, as well as the Advance Family Law Trial Institute in Houston, Texas.
Mr. Cowhig is on the Board of Directors of Vocational Steps, a non-profit organization. Vocational Steps prepares, instructs, and guides adults with mild special needs on how to obtain employment. It also provides the dedicated support necessary to ensure their long term success. Additionally, Mr. Cowhig has dedicated numerous hours as volunteer of the Legal Aid Society of Orange County, and enjoys volunteering at Orangewood Childrens Home.
Accolades & Reviews
“Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Orange”
– Super Lawyers Magazine
John S. Cowhig was selected by Super Lawyer Magazine in 2004 as a “Rising Star”. He has then been selected as a “Super Lawyer”, starting in 2005.
“Top Family Law Attorney”
John S. Cowhig has been officially rated both as “Superb”, as well as a “Top Family Law Attorney”, the highest ratings achievable on the attorney aggregate website, Avvo.
“5-Star Family Law Attorney”
John S. Cowhig has been consistently rated by his Clients as “5-Star”, the highest client rating score achievable on the attorney aggregate website, Avvo.
Legal Associations & Seminars
- President (2008)
- Vice President (2007)
- Treasurer (2006)
- Secretary (2005)
- Member At-Large (2003 – 2004)
- 2014 Family Law Review
- White Zuckerman Warsavsky, Luna and Hunt Feb 2015
- Family Law for the Non-Family Law Lawyer
- Last Dash Jan 2014
- 2013 Family Law Review
- White Zuckerman Warsavsky, Luna and Hunt Feb 2014
- 2012 Family Law Review
- White Zuckerman Warsavsky, Luna and Hunt Feb 2013
- 2011 Family Law Review
- White Zuckerman Warsavsky, Luna and Hunt Feb 2012
- The Family Residence From A-Z
- OCBA Jun 2007
- Spousal Support, The Advanced Course
- OCBA April 2003
- Family Law Nuts & Bolts
- Program Chair
- Last Dash Jan 2015
- Family Law Update: Comprehensive Review of 2013 Appellate Decisions, New Statute and Court Rules
- OCBA Family Law Section Feb 2014
- Family Law Update: Comprehensive Review of 2012 Appellate Decisions, New Statute and Court Rules
- OCBA Family Law Section Feb 2013
- 2011 Cases in Review & What’s New for 2013
- OCBA Family Law Section Mar 2012
- Family Law Evidence in Action
- OCBA Nov 2011
- Practical Tips on Complex Issues in Family Law
- OCBA Jun 2006